Comprising over 45,000 books and publications, the library of the Istituto Svizzero places a major collection of specialist works on archaeology, classical philology, history, art history and literature at the disposal of researchers. Founded in 1948 to include the bequests of the artist Adolf Holzer and of Carolina Maraini-Sommaruga, the owner of Villa Maraini, the library has since grown with the addition of books from the leading Swiss publishers as well as donations from professors and academicians, especially François Lasserre and Hanno Helbling.
The library offers workstations with Internet connections, a listening post for the Phonothèque nationale suisse (Swiss national record library), an interlibrary borrowing service (RERO, NEBIS, SBN) as well as the online URBS catalogue.
Opening hours to the public:
Mon–Fri: H09.30am–H01:00pm. Afternoon by appointment: firstname.lastname@example.org